B ucovina – the northeastern province of Romania, is renowned for its wonderful frescoes outside the walls of its monasteries. These monasteries, summits of art with Byzantine influences, reflect the development of the Moldavian civilization in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, under the reign of Stefan cel Mare (1457-1504)
Located 5 km southwest of Gura Humor and declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO . This monastery of nuns is the most famous of all the painted monasteries of Moldova and is known as the “Sistine Chapel of the East” It is the monastery that was least built, only 3 months and 21 days, in the year 1488 and was ordered to be built by Stefan cel Mare. His church is dedicated to St. George and was painted in its entirety: internally in time of Petru Rares – son of founder -, between 1534 and 1535 and its exterior wall was finished decorating in 1547, made by the master Marcu. With this work the great era of the mural painting in the monasteries of Bucovina closes .
In Moldovita, stone-covered walls enclose a beautiful church of the Annunciation, with a foundation date during the first half of the 15th century, and completely rebuilt by Petru Rares in 1532. The frescoes were painted by Toma de Suceava in 1537.
The monastery of Sucevita is in chronological order the last and largest monastic complex with paintings in Bucovina. It has the appearance of a royal fortress, with its towers, buttresses and patrol routes. It was erected by Jorge Movila, Bishop of Radauti, and consecrated to the Assumption in 1584.